The exact date of the organization of Centre Church cannot be determined. There are records that refer to a church in the area in the 1760’s and 1770’s, with the first pastor being supplied in 1781. It is believed that the name “Centre” was chosen because the location was halfway between the existing churches of Round Hill In Cross Roads, PA and Bethel in Madonna, MD.
After outgrowing three previous structures, the current building was constructed in 1888 at a total cost of $14,881.45. To serve a growing congregation the Education Building was constructed in 1957 to accommodate Sunday School classroom and offices on the upper floor, and a kitchen and large recreational/meeting room in the basement.
For over 220 years, the congregation of Centre has worked to serve the people of neighboring communities in Pennsylvania and Maryland.
After graduating from Penn State with a double major in psychology and social work, Don attended Princeton Theological Seminary and received his Master of Divinity degree from Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. Later, in 1997, he received his Doctor of Ministry degree from Fuller focused on Youth Ministry. Don has served churches as a youth pastor (Newport Beach, Ca & Bethlehem, Pa), pastor for missional ventures (Lancaster, Pa) and currently is a transitional pastor at Centre Presbyterian Church in New Park, Pa. Don grew up a military dependent who has lived in seven different states and two foreign countries. Don and his wife, Rila, and three adult children (Ian, Brynn, and Colin) consider Lancaster, Pennsylvania their home. Some of Don’s favorite faith practices are walking with Rila, baking sourdough bread, nature photography, and travel with family.